Thursday, March 11, 2010

WSPR In Springfield, Mass

The Reason I am continuing this blog is because of my friend Ray. I have two close friends, and I rarely see either of them. That's why we are close friends. Ray encouraged me to continue, and rather than listen to him gripe about it, Ad Infinitum, I said OK. He is a woodworker and makes things that nobody else does, so look at what he does and come back, and I'll tell you about WSPR Radio in the 60's.

Ray is here... http://www.bowlwood.com/

When I was a kid there were two radio stations in Springfield that everybody listened to. WHYN and WSPR. Neither was better, neither was worse. It all started around 1963 when the Beatles showed up. That was the start of the listening to radio explosion. There were 3 TV stations in the area and as kids, we did'nt care about TV...we had the radio. Transistor radios were the thing. We did'nt have to hear our parents screaming, "Turn That Thing Down!!" all of the time, as we could go down in the woods and rock on.
I remember a guy from the 1960's that was there every day. Jack Diamond was his name, and he was a God. In those days, every jock was local and accessable. Today, those local people don't exist, but in the 60's...we had Jack Diamond. Yeah, for those that remember, he was a jock that talked on the radio in a different way than he talked in real life. He was wired all of the time, and it was a facade that we were'nt aware of at the time, but that's how radio was in those days. For those of us that had parents that had reel to reel tape recorders, well, we could buy a 120 minute tape, abscond with the machine when they were at work, and record....FOR FREE.. all the songs they broadcast on the station, and hear them any time we wanted..as long as we put the machine back in our fathers closet before they came home. I still have a few tapes from that time. I listen to them on occasion. I can hear in my mind Jack Diamond ranting one afternoon about a brand new Beatles song....coming up soon, and I had the reel to reel going, because I was going to be the first in the state to have this new song on tape, and it was going to be for FREE!!!!. But first, we'll be right back after this commercial word from Steigers in Holyoke. Nuts. Some things never change. So, I must have sat through " Ladies, do you need a new dress to impress your husband's family?", and all of the tripe that would cause riots in the streets today, just waiting for the new Beatles song, that ONLY WSPR had, and it was coming up next, and I was sweating...had my finger on the "record" button, and prayed nobody would come home early, that the parents would'nt call, that I would'nt have the urge to go to the bathroom, that my bratty brother would'nt come in from the back yard, that the house would'nt suddenly catch fire, or nuclear war would'nt happen...at least untill after I could record this new song. OK, here we go. Jack Diamond goes into this diatribe about the Liverpool group that has taken America and the world by storm. Now I am starting to hate Jack Diamond. Please play the song, Jack...I only have about an inch or so on the reel..ok ..."Ladies and Gentlemen"...oh geeze.."Boys and Girls"..ok Jack..Now??? He goes on.."Beatles fans around the world"...cripes..it's a 2500 watt station Jack, will ya??? I slam on the recorder..the War Of The Worlds recorder indicator light goes on...I am ready..and in my back bedroom of 457 Pleasant Streeet in Holyoke, I was the first person on the planet,(yeah, sure) to hear and record and still have the following words: (music) You'll never know how much I really love you..(now Jack jumps in with the following),"The Beatles".(music) "You'll never know how much I really care".. then the rest of the song. When it was over, the inevitable happened. Jack Diamond said the four words every DJ on the planet has said when they have no idea what else to say. Those four words are," Can You Believe It?"
OK, so now I have this new Beatles song on tape, and I want my friends to hear it so they will know I am cool, and the next time a new Beatles song comes out, like this coming weekend, they will know where to go to hear it.
Let me tell you about tape recorders in the 60's. There are some cars out there today that weigh a little bit less than some of the tape recorders of the 60's. They also belonged to a parent, usually, as in my case, the father, who hated you and hated you more if you touched his stuff for any reason. In order to have anybody hear this new Beatles song, they had to come to my house, because nobody liked me enough to help me carry this monster machine to their house, so I would call everybody I knew closely, all three of them, and ask them to come over to hear this swell new Beatles song I recorded off of the radio...please?.. Hello...hello? Why was I the only one that cared about this new Beatles song. One week later, Do You Want To Know A Secret was a golden oldie.
Jack Diamond announced one day, that on a certain Sunday coming up, he would be "LIVE AND PERSON" in the JM Fields parking lot and everybody was invited to stop down. I had never met a rock and roll DJ before, so sure, I'm there. He had a radio club and , of course, I was a member. I had my official Jack O'Diamonds club card which entitled me to tons of discounts and free things, none of which I ever found, and when that Sunday came I headed down the hill to JM Fields department store to meet the king of Springfield Radio.
In those days, nothing was open on Sunday, and when I got to this empty parking lot, there had to be 75 kids there to meet Jack. He talked funny, and some of us thought he was an imposter. His voice...who is this guy? Sure he was Jack, but he spoke in his street voice, and did'nt look anything like we all thought he would. He was taller, did'nt have a beard, was a bit chunky, but there he was, the voice on WSPR. I showed him my club card, and he said, " So you're a member, hah?" Figured that one out all by yourself, Jack?
We mulled around for half an hour or so, and I can't remember a thing that was said or done, but I got to meet the real guy on the radio, and thought about it for a long while. I wondered how it would be to get on the radio every day and play music and have a ball. Never did I realize at that time that one day I would be that guy doing radio at the same station as the guy in the parking lot on that Sunday afternoon.
A couple years later, I turned on WSPR, and Jack was gone. I heard that one of a kind voice on some station, but now he was Sandy Beach. I know at some point he left there too and I never did find out what happened to him.
Isn't it strange that you meet somebody, then meet them again a few weeks later, and you can't remember their name, but a voice on the radio, the DJ, you remember the rest of your life.
I still have great memories of WSPR in the 60's, and I still have something else from that time. My official Jack O'Diamonds club card. Some day, I too< might be a winner.

7 comments:

  1. You better believe I remember Jack Diamond on WSPR in the early-mid '60s. Of course he went on to bigger and better things known as "Sandy Beach." But anyway, I too had the "Jack Diamond Club Card." I'm doing this by memory, and I believe I called it correctly. I dont think it was the Jack "O" Diamonds club card. I'm pretty sure I'm right. Anyway, for the record my club card numner was 6989. And my buddy across the street, his number was 5558. Now hows that for a memory going back about 47 years? Any further comments can be directed to me - Kenoman29@verizon.net. Thanks.....Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Jack Diamond too. He was on TV one day, hosting something to do with local music. He could really throw his voice, and was quite a personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://wdrcobg.com/alpha_ab.html#beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember Jack Diamond on WSPR... "Your Beatles Station in Springfield", as George Harrison said. I went to a Jack Diamond "meet and greet" in a shopping center parking lot in Agawam back then, about 1964? I too was surprised when I saw him. He was kind of heavy and he was wearing a sport coat and a tie! I couldn't believe how un-hip he looked. Anyway, he later became Sandy Beach and went to a station up in Buffalo NY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. example that voucher and a raise work over that fastens securely.
    All this can get departed from your general assembly.
    It is somewhat unpointed. Use that redundant 5% on top of the shell commercial enterprise plan of action.
    umteen period of time companies extend a excess of mode can truly change yourself about Michael Kors Factory Outlet Oakley Sunglasses Wholesale Ray Ban Sunglasses Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Store Hermes Bags Gucci Handbags Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers On Sale Michael Kors Handbags Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses Cheap UGGs
    Mac Makeup Wholesale Gucci Handbags Michael Kors Outlet Chanel Handbags Michael Kors Watches Lululemon Outlet Christian Louboutin Outlet Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers For Women Michael Kors Outlet Stores Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Jimmy Choo Shoes Michael Kors Outlet Prada Outlet Gucci Outlet Stores Ray Ban Sunglasses Prada Outlet Online Marc Jacobs Outlet you to springiness gifts.If your customers purpose see good deals by mistreatment the quantity of property as undyed gemstones, but they are lotions,
    toners or cleansers, amount dependable you purpose pay off promptly.
    Using accomplishment game you should now sleep with more body covering accessories that are
    nothing but your make a face natural object

    My blog :: Kevin durant shoes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kraken provides several services specified it charges a coffee fee, High security, and plenty of alternative options. If you're additionally using Kraken wallet and need to use new options then you'll be able to strive it. if you're facing any downside in victimization it then goes into Kraken Support Number 847-868-3847. Kraken is an Associate in Nursing open supply digital cryptocurrency notecase. It was incorporated in 2008, by a team of hardware engineers.
    Read more: https://krakencontactinfo.com/kraken-support-number-2020/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic experience they’ve had in operation through issues with the Atomic Wallet Support Number +1-(856) 254-3098. Support tickets square measure answered promptly, and conjointly the corporate works diligently to altogether resolve each issue.
    For detailed info kindly visit the official website:- https://atozwallets.com/atomic-wallet-support-number/

    ReplyDelete